VPS/Server maintenance involves keeping a server software updated and running so that a computer network can operate smoothly.
Regular preventive maintenance will keep the application software running as expected and will help avoid a total or partial network failure.
Server maintenance tasks include reviewing the server’s performance, ensuring that automated system monitoring utilities are properly installed and configured, identifying potential security risks and backing up data at regular intervals.
A solid server maintenance plan generally requires several steps, including:
- checking server log files
- assessing hard disk space
- examining folder permissions
- monitoring network temperature applications
- ensuring adequate redundancy of systems
- examining security features
- installing security software patches
- reading server logs for security alerts or evidence of computer hacking attempts
- updating antivirus software on all computers on the network
- updating critical service packs and software updates
- performing regular comprehensive back-ups to ensure that vital data can be retrieved from storage in the event of a system failure